Let’s go ride bikes!
The Katy Trail is a converted railroad track, and America’s longest “rails-to-trail” project. The trail stretches for 237 miles across most of the state of Missouri. More than half of it follows Lewis and Clark’s path up the Missouri River. We’ll ride our bikes beneath towering river bluffs with bald eagles circling high overhead.
- Plan and conduct a troop bicycle ride
- Rank advancement
- Have fun!!
- Friday, November 10th, through Sunday, November 12th, 2017.
- Katy Roundhouse Campground, 1893 Katy Drive, New Franklin, MO (660-848-2232)
Departure & Return:
- Meet at Church on Friday for departure at 05:30 PM.
- Anticipate return to Church by early afternoon on Sunday.
- Cold weather camping at Katy Roundhouse Campground in New Franklin, MO. Bike ride along the Katy trail from Rocheport along the Missouri RIver.
- On Saturday morning, we will drive from New Franklin to Rocheport, where we will pick up the rental bikes (Other bikes must be carried on vehicles). We will bike 15 miles to Easley, where we will eat lunch (Provided by the Troop), and then bike back to Rocheport. Older scouts may organize and conduct a longer trek with adequate adult supervision and alternative lunch arrangements. Troop will also provide a post-ride snack in Rocheport. After all bikers have returned to Rocheport, we will drive back to New Franklin and work with younger Scouts on rank advancement.
- $35.00 Per Scout and $25.00 Per adult.
- Bike rental is an additional $30 to $40, which includes a helmet. Pay all fees at registration.
- Although you may bring your own bike, you must make your own arrangements to transport it to and from New Franklin (and between New Franklin and Rocheport), and you must also bring your own helmet. The troop trailer will NOT be transporting bikes, and NO one (Scout or adult) will be allowed to ride without a helmet.
- Field uniform (Class A) during travels to and from campsite.
- Proper biking attire, including sneakers and a helmet, for biking.
- Seasonal camping attire while at campsite.
- Seasonal camping equipment, including biking gear-helmet, canteen, rain gear, hat, jacket as appropriate, etc.
- Your Scout handbook to use in camp – (always!!)
- Consider that the weather for this weekend could be significantly colder than expected.
- This ride calls for a bicycle with gears to help you cover some miles. If you need to borrow a bicycle, please let your SPL know and we will try to make arrangements.
- Either eat dinner before departing from the Church on Friday evening or bring a sack dinner to eat upon arrival in New Franklin.
- Troop will provide lunch and post ride snack on Saturday.
- Patrols will plan, purchase, and prepare Saturday breakfast and dinner, and Sunday breakfast.
- I-435 east and north to I-70. Then east on I-70 to exit 101. North on MO-5 to New Franklin. Then left at car wash. Campground is down the hill ¾ of a mile on the left.
- To contact your Scout in an emergency, call (Mr. Crabtree 913-522-5676)