April 20-22, 2018
- Earn Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge (optional).
- Work on rifle shooting merit badge requirements.
- Have fun shooting
- Rank advancement.
Friday April 20 thru Sunday April 22, 2018
Hillsdale State Park – Paola, KS
Departure & Return:
Meet at Church on Friday at 6:30 PM for departure shortly thereafter. The drive is about 45 minutes, so please be on time. Anticipate return to Church before Noon on Sunday.
Scouts pursuing Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge will receive instruction on proper shotgun safety and use, including all requirements for the Merit Badge. Scouts who already have the appropriate Merit Badge may engage in open trap shooting and rifle shooting. At all times while on the trap shooting range, Scouts will be supervised by adults. NRA certified Range Officer will be supervising the shooting.
Scouts need not participate in shooting activities, so long as they are otherwise engaged in proper Scouting activities (e.g., rank advancement, Scout skills, etc.) or are observing shotgun shooting by other Scouts. Hiking, nature observation, advancement and an evening campfire are also on the agenda. The boys can even bring their fishing rods!
Note: To earn the Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge during this campout, a Scout must do the following:
(1) Complete Requirement # 1 in advance of the campout (by completing the blanks on pages 1 and 2 of Merit Badge handout, attached).
(2) Be prepared to discuss Requirement # 2A (on pages 3 and 4 of handout).
(3) Demonstrate proficiency by hitting at least 48% of 50 targets (Requirement # 2A(l)).
A merit badge book will be needed to complete certain of these requirements. The Troop library should contain several copies of this book, but they are also available for purchase at Scout Shop. Mr. Dohr will be available as a counselor for this merit badge
- Scouts – $25 plus shooting costs. To earn the merit badge you must shoot a minimum of two rounds.
- Shells and targets will be priced separately–please note on sign-up form the number of rounds you intend to shoot. Trap will be $5/round and shotgun shells will be $6.50/round. Rifle shooting will cost $4 for 50 rounds plus a target.
- Adults – $5 for campout. Adults wishing to shoot may purchase targets for $5 per round.
Field uniform (Class A) during travel to and from campsite. Seasonal camping attire at all other times. Please wear appropriate clothing for shouldering a shotgun (e.g., a sweatshirt or fleece).
- Depending on forecast, Spring camping equipment, including hiking boots (with back-up pair), multiple layers of jackets, and appropriate sleeping bag.
- Scouts should also bring their Scout Handbook and merit badge book(s) if pursuing either Merit Badge.
- Please bring safety glasses or sunglasses if you don’t already wear eyeglasses. All persons on shooting range must wear eye and ear protection at all times.
Eat Friday dinner at home before departure. Patrols are responsible for purchasing and preparing Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner and Sunday breakfast. Adults will do likewise, separately from the patrols.
To contact your Scout in an emergency, call Tom Hayselden (913-710-2526)
For details, or to discuss changes in plans, please contact Mr. Hayselden